Four Must-Read Nature-Based Children’s Books
“Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic” – Carl Sagan
Some of the most beautiful life lessons can be found in the pages of children’s books. Open the cover as you would a gift wrapped in spectacular paper and its magic will waft around you and awaken your imagination. Sometimes the magic is light and sprightly and others it drapes over us like a cozy quilt, knowing just what we need to feel comforted and safe. The following is a list of books whose messages have stayed with me long after I have closed their cover. They are messages that have left an impression and continue to tickle the back of my mind in almost everything I do with their inspiring mantras.
Written by Alice McLerran and illustrated by Barbara Cooney
- As Albert Einstein said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” This book is an homage to the power of the child’s imagination and the simplicity of nature in outdoor play.
Written by Jane Yolen and Illustrated by John Schoenherr
- We are reminded, as a young boy goes owling with his Pa, that nature comes when we are quiet and patient.
Written and Illustrated by Barbara Cooney
- There will never be a time when this lesson doesn’t feel applicable ~ “You must do something to make the world amore beautiful place.”
Written by Eve Bunting and Illustrated by Kathryn Hewitt
- “Garden sitting on our laps, people smile at us!” What universal joy flowers bring, wherever you are.
Fill your Nature-Based Children’s Library today with some of our favorite nature -based books for children. Use each book as a “seed of inspiration” for outdoor learning while finding purpose and passion for exploring nature.
No matter what the age, nature-based children’s books have the ability to capture children’s imaginations. Share our favorites with your children and fellow nature enthusiasts. Please make sure you share your favorites with our community Facebook Group HERE.
- This post has affiliate links.
Get tips and recommendations for getting your Outdoor Classroom up and running easier and faster.
A Road Map to follow as you begin begin your journey.
Join our community and get expert advice to avoid mistakes when first starting out.
GET YOUR FREE OUTDOOR CLASSROOMS STARTER GUIDE HERE!