Inspired by the Weather Station card from the Seeds of Inspiration for Outdoor Learning Card Deck, I set out to create my own one-of-a-kind Weather Station. Although perusing Pinterest helped me narrow down my ideas and my vision for this project, I quickly learned that there are many, many ways to create a Weather Station. Therefore, I adopted the “Keep it Simple” mantra as my key to success.
Here are 5 Steps to a Simple DIY Weather Station
Step 1: Foundation: The foundation is the structural base that stands on the ground and supports the rest of the station. Foundation design is the creation of a construction plan for a station. What is going to hold your weather measurement tools? How will the Rain Gauge Thermometer, and Weather Vane all be constructed together?
- 4 in. x 4 in. x 6 ft. Pressure-Treated Cedar-Tone Moulded Fence Post
Step 2: Aesthetics: How will you make your foundation structure visually pleasing?
- Inspired by Artist Jena Jauchius and her painted posts, my fence post will be painted with a weather-theme.
Step 3: Materials: What types of weather will you be measuring? Wind? Temperature? Rain? Atmospheric Pressure? Speed of the Wind?
There are options to hand-make many of these measurement tools; however, I chose to purchase them. Note: These items can easily be found at a hardware store.
- Thermometer: There are 2 options to consider
- Weather Vane
- Note: The weather vane is a personal choice and can be ordered and/or found accordingly.
- Rain Gauge: These can be hand-made by the children using plastic water bottles; however, I chose to purchase a
In keeping it simple, I chose not to purchase at this time a
Step 4: Attach Weather Measuring Tools to your Foundation.
Step 5: Install your one-of-a-kind Weather Station into your Outdoor Classroom. Enjoy!
Now I want to hear from you. What might your Weather Station look like? Share your ideas in the comments and/or join the conversation with our Outdoor Classrooms Facebook Group.
Want to learn more? Check out the on-line Master Classes HERE and the Seeds of Inspiration for Outdoor Learning Card Deck HERE.