7 Must Have Items to
Transform Any Outdoor Space
Teachers are often asking me where do I find my “Must Have Items” for my Outdoor Classroom? Check out my list. Fine tuning your “Must Have” items depends on the Type of Garden and Outdoor Classroom you have or are planning to have. (Learn more: Teaching in the Dirt: Designing Outdoor Classrooms e-Course This list will be a growing list; therefore, keep checking back to see what is new. Start now with your WISH LIST and start transforming your space into an Outdoor Classroom.
1. COLORFUL TARPS: Additional colors available: Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange & Pink. These are invaluable. Perfect for defining outdoor space for young children, defining activity stations and adding brilliant color!
2. BUNGEE CORD ASSORTMENT JAR: These are a “must have” for creating water walls, marble runs and attaching anything to anything. Create a story wall, theater and see what the children come up with.
3. S-HOOKS: These are great for hanging just about anything….backpacks, baskets for loose parts, pictures…anything!
4. BACK PACK ON-THE-GO CURRICULUM KITS: Any backpack will do. These lightweight backpacks are great for each child/or packing outdoor supplies separately.
5. CARABINA HOOKS: Perfect for connecting just about anything. Make things easy and keep things together. Add a bungee cord or rope and you are all set to go!
6. HEAVY DUTY CLOTHES PINS: These are great for hanging children’s art, creating a storyline, and adding to the Mud Kitchen play.
7. CHALK: A Child’s best friend. Chalk can be used to define space, write stories on black tops and create a variety of games.
Now I want to hear from you. Do you have materials that you use to transform your outdoor space? If so, share your ideas in the comments below.
If you would like to learn more about how to design an Outdoor Classroom on a shoestring budget, check out the Teaching in the Dirt: Designing Outdoor Classrooms e-Course.